- Member Services
- Find a Contractor
Local 701 of the International Union of Operating Engineers represents over 3,500 heavy equipment operators, heavy duty repairers, technical engineers and stationary engineers throughout Oregon and Southwest Washington.
Since 1918, Local 701 has formed and shaped the roads, infrastructure and skylines of our region. Today we operate the constructions industry’s largest cranes and most sophisticated pieces of construction equipment. Our construction members are regularly dispatched onto contracts worth millions of dollars, where hydraulic equipment enables us to work with power and speed. Wherever you go you see our work – from roads and highways to bridges, dams, and power plants to office buildings, high rise condos and hospitals. If it is a large structure – members of Local 701 were probably part of building it.
Our stationary members are engaged in many facets of the manufacturing industry, food production industry, building maintenance, hospitals, and data center facilities, where we are charged with operations and maintenance of mission and safety critical systems. Our work includes projects such as destroying the stockpile of old military ordnances stored near Boardman Oregon.
IUOE Local 701 provides many services to our members and signatory contractors including training and continuing education, healthcare and pension programs, and centralized job dispatch. Training, experience, and professionalism are a key to getting work done on time and on budget. We firmly believe that our members are the most highly skilled and productive workers in the industry – and provide a greater value to their employers than unrepresented workers.
The construction contractors who employ our members do a wide variety of work. Key specialty areas are listed below.
- Asphalt Paving
- Boom Truck Service
- Boring Contractor
- Bridge and Dock Work
- Building Contractor
- Cement Manufacturing
- Concrete Paving
- Concrete Pumping
- Concrete Specialties
- Crane Rental and Rigging
- Demolition Contractor
- Directional Drilling
- Dredging and Marine Construction
- Drilling Contractor
- Excavation and Grading
- General Contractor
- Guardrail and Barriers
- Padding Machines
- Pile Driving
- Pole Foundations
- Sand & Gravel and Concrete Producers
- Signing and Traffic Signals
- Steel Erector
- Survey Contractor
- Underground Utilities
Types of Construction Equipment We Use
The members of Local 701 operate a wide variety of equipment. Some of the most common are listed below.
- Asphalt – Plants, Paver and Grinders
- Boring & Tunneling Machines
- Backhoes – All types and size
- Blades – Motor graders
- Boom trucks
- Bulldozers – All types and sizes
- Compactors – All types and sizes
- Concrete – Plants, Pavers and Grinders
- Cranes – All types and sizes
- Crushers – All types and sizes
- Derricks and related equipment
- Dredges and related equipment
- Drills – All types and sizes
- Excavators – All types and sizes
- GPS – Grade Setting and checking equipment
- Heavy Duty Repair and Service equipment
- Hoisting equipment – All types and sizes
- Jacking equipment – All types and sizes
- Loaders – All types and sizes
- Pumps – Trucks, Portable and Stationary
- Shovels – Dragline and Clamshell
- Side Booms
- Survey – Total station, GPS and Laser scanning
- Tractors – All types and sizes
- Trucks – Off-road, Heavy Haulers and Water
- Underwater and Remote operated equipment
- Welding Machines
Supporting our Community
Many of our members are very active in our local communities – volunteering for a wide variety of programs and activities and at times using their skills to assist on special projects. As an organization we have helped many charities, especially ones involved with the needs of children. And we have a college scholarship program for our members’ kids.
Local 701 is also an influential player in economic development, energy, and transportation issues facing Oregon and SW Washington. When we are building things there is a positive impact on our local economies. Taxes are paid that help fund government programs and services. Our members are paid good wages and they in turn spend much of them on goods and services in their community.
And every day we stand up for job security, healthcare, pension plans, better wages, and safer working conditions for our members. We work with our contractors, elected officials, and government agencies at all levels to achieve these goals and protect and extend the rights and benefits achieved by our predecessors.