- Member Services
- Find a Contractor
Unions are a Positive Force
Organized labor created the American middle class. As labor unions go, so will the middle class. Unions set the standards for wages and benefits; whether you are union member or not, you have benefited from Unions raising the standards for all workers!
Look at the positive things that Unions have achieved throughout their history:
- Ended child labor
- Established the legal right of workers to form unions and collectively bargain for wages, benefits and working conditions
- Established the 8 hour work day and paid overtime
- Won workers’ compensation benefits for workers injured on the job
- Secured unemployment insurance for workers who lose their jobs
- Secured a guaranteed minimum wage
- Improved workplace safety and reduced on the job fatalities
- Won pensions for workers
- Won health care insurance for workers
- Won paid sick leave, vacations, and holidays as standard benefits for most workers
- Won the right for public sector workers to collectively bargain
- Helped win passage of the Civil Right Acts and Title VII which outlaws job discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin
- Won passage of the Occupational Safety and Health Act
- Won passage of the Family Medical Leave Act
Working class Americans need to keep their right to negotiate our future in the workplace.
- As a worker you have a right to form a union, select representatives, and bargain collectively with your employer. This helps balance the power that an employer has over his individual employees.
- Belonging to a Union gives you rights under the law that you do not have as an individual.
- Once you’ve joined a Union, your employer must bargain with you over your wages, hours, and working conditions.
- 701 Operating Engineers are amongst the highest Skilled & Trained in the industry!
- This benefits the employer as well as you because they are getting the most qualified, highly trained employee available, who will continue to improve the company’s overall skill set.
- We offer employers the best of the best!